Here’s my chicken adobo + ginger recipe, as requested by a few of you out there. It’s based on how my mom makes adobo, with lots and lots of soupy sauce so that the dish is more of a stew than a flaky meat dish. I got the idea of adding potatoes from Myra’s Chicken Adobo on Pinoycook.net, and I added ginger completely out of whimsy. Quantities are purely discretionary.
1 whole chicken, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 head of garlic, peeled and crushed/chopped
1 onion, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
3 potatoes, sliced (or 1 can)
1 tbsp sliced ginger (optional)
1 tbsp sugar (optional)
1 bay leaf
- Sautee garlic in olive oil till brown.
- Add chicken.
- Pour soy sauce and vinegar over chicken.
- Add peppercorns, ginger, onion, sugar, and bay leaf.
- Stir carefully to ensure even distribution.
- Add potatoes.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes till chicken is cooked through to bone.
- Serve with rice and kamatis at bagoong. (In the absence of bagoong, pico de gallo salsa is an acceptable substitute.)
(I toyed with titling this “Brownpadobo” or “Adobordoveza” or something cute like that, but none of those names worked too well.)