Update 2: Mark Pilgrim installs WinXP.
Update: (Argh, scratch this entry. Admittedly, yes, I tested it in Win98, but now I’ve tested the Predator in WinME, WinXP, Mac OS 9, and OS X again, and now the thing refuses to acknowledge any CD-Rs or CD-RWs at all, which means the issue was with the unit itself. I’m now stuck with a glorified external CD-ROM drive. Having read the comments, I agree, yes, it’s much easier to install in WinXP — though it still needed the drivers — and I apologize if anyone felt baited.)
Installing and testing an old Iomega Predator…
1. Insert Iomega software CD.
2. Fill out required registration form but do not send it.
3. Install Iomega HotBurn software and Predator drivers.
6. After reboot process, shut down, plug Predator into USB port, and start up.
7. Wait for Add New Hardware Wizard to detect Predator. “Drivers not found.”
8. Hunt for drivers manually through C:Program FilesIomega.
9. Insert CD-R into Predator and open Iomega Hotburn software.
10. Stare blankly at error window which says “This is not a CD-R.”
11. Reinstall drivers. Reboot again.
12. Repeat from step 7 until limit of tolerance.
Elapsed time: 2 hours.
On Mac OS X:
1. Plug Predator into USB port.
2. Insert CD-R into Predator.
3. Drag and drop.
Elapsed time: 45 seconds.
This is why I prefer Apple.