JFK-YVR, CX889, A346, 6h15m, 12/20 9:20pm – 12/21 12:35am
YVR-HKG, CX889, A346, 13h20m, 12/21 1:45am – 12/22 7:05am
HKG-MNL, CX901, B773, 2h5m, 12/22 9:10am – 12/22 11:10am
MNL-HKG, CX918, A330, 01/03 5:45pm – 01/03 7:45pm
HKG-JFK, CX830, A346, 01/04 10:15am – 01/04 12:50pm
- Flight is out of JFK, so Amy and I fly up to NJ the day before.
- The next day turns out to be the day of the New York Transit Strike. The trip to JFK from NJ involves a transfer from NJTransit to LIRR at Penn Station. Gladly, aside from a few security cordons at Penn Station and a taped-off elevator at the Jamaica LIRR Station (still operational, so a bunch of us passengers just slip under the tape), the ride to JFK is uneventful.
- A hug and a kiss goodbye to Amy, hop on to the plane, and I’m off to Manila, with a stopover at Vancouver and Hong Kong.
- I arrive just around noon in Manila. My brothers pick me up. I spend Christmas in Manila with the family.
- A lot of shopping is done at the tiangge. It occurs to me that we Filipinos sure do pump a lot of bad 1980s love music into our public spaces.
- After Christmas, we fly to Cebu to go scuba diving at Malapascua.
- We come back for New Year. There are many explosions.
- I fly back to JFK, but first, a 14 hour layover in Hong Kong. For that, I get a sleeping cubicle at the Traveler’s Lounge.
- Amy meets me at JFK. We head back to her home in NJ, where I deliver pasalubong to her family.
- Next day, I fly back to DC on the very last Newark-Dulles flight of Independence Air before the company shuts down.
- Home. Sleep.
So ends that trip. Click on the thumbs for more photos:
Sorry, my travel logs are pretty cursory when I’m not writing during the actual trip itself, but that’s fine, since I hear people generally hate reading travel logs anyway. Is that true?